In my work, I use soft romantic hues which evoke memories of Chinese decorations in my families’ restaurant. Working primarily in watercolors and acrylic glazes, as well as ink and gouache, I draw from classical Chinese landscapes and charge them with personal mythologies. I am attracted to the ornamental, such as gold leaf, silk brocades, intricate patterns, and fancy tassels which I incorporate into my work.
“…I like the idea of being an improper noun.”danma
danma (aka: Dan Ma) received his MFA from the University of Illinois in 2006 and is an accomplished interdisciplinary artist ranging from painting, photography, wall-mounted art, sculpture, video, to installations. As a first generation Chinese American, danma’s work derives from growing up in two different cultures at the same time; often at odds with his parent’s culture, to the culture he was experiencing in America. This hybridity is often evident in his work as he likes to mix and (con)fuse cultures. The soothing affects of pastels is generally the color palette of choice.
- 2011 – Associate in Applied Science, Web Design & Interactive Media The Art Institute of Colorado, Denver
- 2006 – Master of Fine Art, Studio Art, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- 2000 – Bachelor of Science, Fine Art University of Oregon, Eugene
Areas of Specialization: Photography (traditional & digital), Video, Sculpture, Installation Art, and Web design
Artist Exhibition Record
- Call Now, Rainmaker Artist Residency; Portland, OR, Art Installation
- 2015 Seattle Erotic Art Festival, Seattle Center; Seattle, WA, Group Show
- Beyond Erotic 2, NEXT Gallery, Denver, CO, Group Show
- Beyond Erotic 2014, Future Forward Gallery; Portland, OR, Group Show
- Too Much Party, Night Light Lounge; Portland, OR, Solo Show: danma vs. V2R2 collaborative
- Brotkatze Collaboration IV; Knststueck, Berlin, Germany, Group Show
- Open Wall, BMOCA; Denver, CO, Group Show
- Telling Tails, NEXT Gallery; Denver, CO, Solo Show: danma vs. V2R2 collaborative
- Truth or Dare, NEXT Gallery; Denver, CO, Group Show.
- Juxtaposition: The Madness of Collage, NEXT Gallery; Denver, CO, Group Show danma vs. V2R2 collaborative. Juror: Peter S. Yumi
- Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun, NEXT Gallery, Denver, CO. Solo Show: danma vs. V2R2 collaborative
- Beyond Erotic, NEXT Gallery, Denver, CO. Group Show
- Artistic Mamas, Su Teatro, Denver, CO. Invitational Group Show
- Plastic Experience, NEXT Gallery, Denver, CO. Group Show
- Holidays at the Governor’s Residence, Boettcher Mansion, Golden, CO. Invitational Group Show
- Celebration of the Artist, Church of Scientology, Denver, CO. Group Show
- The “Phill” Bender Show: Summer Games of 7, Pirate Art Gallery, Denver, CO. Group Show
- Square Footage, Plastic Chapel, Denver, CO. Group Show danma vs. V2R2 collaborative
- Holiday Art Sale, Next Gallery; Denver, Co
- Heat, Next Gallery; Denver, Co
- 12 x 12, Next Gallery; Denver, CO
- 7th International Cappadocia Art Camp, Cappadocia Turkey
- Peace Tower Chicago, Chicago Cultural Center; Chicago, IL;
- MFA Thesis, KrannertArt Museum; Champaign, IL
- The Softer Side,125 West Main St; Urbana, Il
- Cultural Body, Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities,University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Only Skin Deep: Changing Visions of the American Self, International Center of Photography
- All Media IV International Internet Exhibition, www.periodgallery.com
- American Experience, Associated Artists of Winston-Salem, Inc.; Winston-Salem, NC
- Spring International Invitational Exhibition, Period Gallery; Omaha, NE
- Photography, The Stage Gallery; Massapequa, NY
- All Media IV Invitational & Juried International Exhibition, Period Gallery; Omaha, NE
- Exposed: Contemporary Photography for the New Millennium, Fulton Street Gallery; Troy, NY
- Distilled, Laverne Krause Gallery; Eugene, OR
- Color Photography, The Art Grotto at Provenance; Eugene, OR
- Confronting the Surface, Laverne Krause Gallery; Eugene, OR
- Froyd, S. (2013, Mar. 1). Ten shows to see during Month of Photography, Westword.
- Froyd, S. (2012, Oct. 12). The Plastic Experience reimagines the Munny tonight at Next Gallery. Westword.
- Sanders, M. (2012, Aug. 20). Photos: Getting Freaky at NEXT Gallery’s “Beyond Erotic” Opening. Westword.
- “Guts, Glory, and the Flag: Hollywood Goes to War.” Communications 321. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2005
- Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities,University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. 2004
- 7th International Cappadocia Art Camp, Cappadocia Turkey. 2010
- “Juxtaposition: The Madness of Collage.” NEXT Gallery; Denver, CO. Mar. 8, 2013
- “Truth or Dare.” Invitational Group Show + Kidrobot. NEXT Gallery; Denver, CO. Mar 11, 2013
- “The Plastic Experience” Open Show. NEXT Gallery, Denver, CO. Sep. 29, 2012.
- “Beyond Erotic.” Invitational Group Show. NEXT Gallery, Denver, CO. Aug. 15, 2012.
- “Mindpool 2012.” Juried Group Show. NEXT Gallery. Denver, CO. May 18, 2011. Curated.
- The Softer Side,125 West Main St; Urbana, Il. 2005